Golden Milk | Bedtime Turmeric Tonic
I recently started waking up in the mornings with the most excruciating pain in my elbows and a faint numbness in my fingers. Apparently, it’s a common sensation called “sleeping elbow” (who knew that was even a thing?!), and I think it means I’m officially in my 30s. Perhaps with the weight of everything going on in the world, I’m curling myself into tight balls while I sleep at night and my joints are bearing the weight of my broken heart…or maybe my years of tennis are finally catching up to me.
We often tout the incredible health effects of turmeric on Of The Wolves – from treating arthritis and joint pain, to aiding in digestive problems and skin conditions – this little golden root packs a powerful health punch. Though Golden Milk is now common in coffee shops and health stores alike, its magic has been celebrated for thousands of years in India by Ayurvedic practitioners and yogis, as a part of a preventative and therapeutic wellness practice. This recipe for Golden Milk makes it easy to take your medicine, so to speak, since several servings can be prepared at once and the paste can live in the fridge for up to 40 days. Capping off my day with a hot milk ritual before bed time, and no achy elbows in the morning, sure does beat my glass of wine and impending morning fog. Not to say I don’t have those nights; all things in balance.
THE GOODS & THEIR BENEFITS
- Turmeric: anti-inflammatory, digestive aid, eases cramps, heart health, relieves stress and depression, sharpens cognitive function
- Black Pepper: anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, digestive aid, weight loss, increases bioavailability (e.g. helps other herbs work their magic), anti-inflammatory, sharpens cognitive function
- Coconut Oil: immune boosting, heart health, anti-microbial, dental health, helps with fatigue, keeps cells happy and healthy
- Local Honey: anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-oxidants, good source of vitamins and minerals
TO MAKE THE PASTE:
- Mix 1 cup of water (preferably filtered) with 1/2 cup of turmeric powder in a pan. Slowly heat it up for approx 5-10 minutes, until the paste thickens. Add 1/2 cup of water if the paste remains too thick.
- Add 1.5 tsp of black pepper and 5 tbsp of coconut oil to the pan. Mix the paste together.
- Allow the paste to cool slightly and store in a glass jar for up to 40 days in the fridge.
TO MAKE THE GOLDEN MILK:
- In a pot on the stove, warm 8 oz of your favorite milk (hemp, coconut, almond, etc.) or your favorite tea base.
- Once the milk is heated, add 1 heaping teaspoon of the Golden Milk paste.
- Add 1 tsp of honey (or your preference of sweetener), use a whisk to blend it all into a delicious froth.
- *OPTIONAL* add in any of your favorite herbs that support your body’s wellness program.
- Drink up!